Book Review: Devil Red

Ahem:


If you are a fan of Joe Lansdale's series featuring Hap and Leonard, then all you need to know is that the newest novel featuring them, Devil Red, is out. Go get it.


If you aren't a fan of Lansdale's work, you should be. He writes good, for a white boy. 


He's also a martial arts master who has created his own system, and when he does a fight scene and wants to make it play, you can tell that he knows some stuff.


Other than that, I'm not gonna say much, save for this: In the previous adventure, Vanilla Ride, there was some gun stuff Joe got wrong. I pointed it out, and offered to vet stuff if he wanted. He thanked me, and said he'd consider that.


When I saw the book, not having gotten the call to look at gun stuff, I figured he found somebody else. 


Not exactly ...


On page 75, there is a gun reference, and I'm going to quote part of the graph in this here review:


"I mention is was a Super because if I don't Leonard always says something like, 'They don't actually make thirty-eights in automatic.' And I always think if they don't, then why do they call it a .38 with a word behind it? Shouldn't he know I'm talking about a .38 Super? Gun fanatics make my ass tired ... "


Made me laugh out loud, and is an elegant and unexpected way of dealing with it. Nice.