More on the Dark Side of the Guitar


So, the new rig for jamming with the steel string guys:


That's the Pickard walnut-back classical, with Nylgut strings. The transducer–the little wooden button near the bridge, is a Dean Markley "Instant Mount," which attaches with a sticky putty that doesn't hurt the finish, as long as you don't leave it on permanently. (Note: This is earthquake putty, used to help keep stuff on shelves in those places subject to tremors.) The cable runs into a 1/4" jack that is plugged into a Roland Mini Cube acoustic amp. I'll tuck the wire under the Neck-Up to keep it from moving around and causing static when I play. I'm not worried about pulling it off, since we play sitting down.


It's the not the set-up I'd use if I were going into a studio to record, but since that's not something about which I have to worry, then I'm not gonna worry about it. 


Not talking a blow-out-the-windows-peel-the-paint-off-the-walls stack here–the cube, which looks a lot like a car battery in size and shape, albeit a lot lighter in weight, generates a whole two watts of pure power. Howsoever, that's enough with the gain at half and the volume control set at "3" to cut through the sounds of steel-string acoustical instruments and achieve parity just fine, which was exactly what I was looking to do. Amp runs on AA batteries–and I have a nice recharger for long-life nicads– or it can be plugged into a wall socket.


Rock 'n' Roll!