Sherlock


Just saw the new Masterpiece/Mystery series opening, Sherlock. (First image, above.) As a long-time fan of the great detective and Dr. Watson, I was much prepared to not-like it. (For my money, Jeremy Brett owned the role, nobody fore or aft who could touch him. Second image.) 


This new one? Contemporary London setting? Young bucks? No, I was ready for it to suck big-time and off with its head after ten minutes.


I was surprised. I rather enjoyed it. It had some nice touches -- Watson back from Afghanistan, and wounded, as was the original Watson. A bit more steely in his resolve, and while not in Holmes's class as an observer, not a dullard.


Holmes played as  a high-functioning personality disorder type right on the edge of sociopathic. 


Even Inspector Lastrade wasn't altogether stupid.


The nicotine patches instead of a pipe? A three-patch problem? I loved that. 


The villain was really creepy and way too much fun. 


Mycroft was thinner than I had envisioned him, but all in all, a promising start. Still not going to erase Brett's turn, but definitely worth watching, and an interesting reboot, much better than the Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law version.