Rocky Loves Emily

First I have to be shameless and plug our new Ask PeeWee segment over at Coffey. Tea. And Literary. Have a publishing/writing question? Ask PeeWee.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program....

I just got finished watching 3 Ninjas. That's right. You heard me. This movie from 1992:

I remember seeing it in the theater, too. Multiple times. I. Was. Obsessed. And it helped that my parents ran a movie theater :-)

So what did I do after the movie was over? I proceeded to go around the house, chasing my husband and PeeWee, kicking and punching, screaming AYAH! AYAH! AHhhhh! AYAH! At 11:30 at night. On a weekday.

You see, watching this movie and its Home Alone type hijinks made me giggle, but it also made me remember how BADLY I wanted to be a ninja when I was a kid. Seriously. I begged my parents to take karate for years (Karate Kid is another favorite childhood film). They never caved. I wonder if I'm too old to start now?

Watching this movie tonight reminded me how much I'm still a kid at heart.

Which is probably why middle grade is my favorite category in books. Don't get me wrong, I love YA and adult as well...and a good picture book I can read over and over. But 9-12 years...well, that's me. And you know how I know? Because when the dumb-surfer-kidnapper in the movie goes "If I were a little booger, where would I be?" I laugh hysterically. And when Colt gets angry at his dad for not understanding how much being a ninja warrior means to him--I'm *totally* pissed, too. Parents just don't get it.

So I'm going to leave you with a montage of some of the great 3 Ninja scenes here. Maybe it will remind you of being a kid, too. In fact...what did YOU want to be when you grew up?

Sidenote: Rocky's kip up 2:36 in is awesome! I knocked the wind out of myself trying that move more times than I can count....