The BEA Recap, Part 1

I'm just not as talented as Janet Reid.  At least not yet.  (Though I did have a few Janet Reid-esque moments when people on the floor at BEA recognized me as "Suzie Townsend, the agent!" which was flattering and a little disconcerting at the same time.)

Anyway, when I was running around like crazy during the past three days of BEA, getting up before 5 am and getting home at midnight, Janet was doing the same thing.  The difference?  When I got home, I collapsed into bed.  When Janet got home, she blogged about it.  (For Janet's recaps of Day 1, Day 2, More Day 2, and Day 3)

One of the coolest aspects of BEA is the sheer amount of people who come into NY from out of town for BEA and for some of the events surrounding it.  I finally got to me the fabulously talented Jennifer Hoffine (who was the first writer willing to sign with me!) in addition to tons of amazing writers, industry professionals, teachers, and librarians who I'd only before interacted with via email or phone.

At the Teen Author Carnival (organized by the always inspiring Mitali Dave, Korianne Wey, & Devyn Burton - three fantastic teen bloggers), I heard 30 YA authors talk about their books and answer audience questions, including none other than The Kody Keplinger, whose debut novel The DUFF comes out this September.



Kody was part of the Teen Love panel, along with a few of my favorite authors including Elizabeth Scott, Simone Elkeles, and several more.  They talked about everything from their writing (outlining vs. winging it) to their own love experiences (and first dates!) and literary crushes (Kody and I both share our love of Mr. Darcy).  It was an amazing night, and I hope this event becomes a long-standing event for YA authors and and readers (and fangirls, like me).