The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker, bookworm and band geek, plays second clarinet and spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery older sister, Bailey. But when Bailey dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to center stage of her own life—and, despite her nonexistent history with boys, suddenly finds herself struggling to balance two. Toby was Bailey's boyfriend; his grief mirrors Lennie's own. Joe is the new boy in town, a transplant from Paris whose nearly magical grin is matched only by his musical talent. For Lennie, they're the sun and the moon; one boy takes her out of her sorrow, the other comforts her in it. But just like their celestial counterparts, they can't collide without the whole wide world exploding.


This past Friday, I read The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson.  And after just reading the first 50 pages on my subway ride into the office, I came in, sat down at my desk and felt...

Devastated.


I was already so immersed into the book and into Lennie, that I had to concentrate to remove myself from the book and actually concentrate on work.


Then I finished the book immediately after work.  There was no way I was going to be able to do anything until I'd gotten to the end (and watch out, this is sobfest).  And I loved it.  This is definitely a debut YA that I'll be recommending to everyone.


And I couldn't decide which cover I liked better, which meant that I had to include them both.