What I Saw and How I Lied

When Evie's father returned home from World War II, the family fell back into its normal life pretty quickly.  But Joe Spooner brought more back with him than just good war stories.  When movie-star handsome Peter Coleridge, a young ex-GI who served in Joe's company in postwar Austria, shows up, Evie is suddenly caught in a complicated web of lies that she only slowly recognizes.  She finds herself falling for Peter, ignoring the secrets that surround him . . . until a tragedy occurs that shatters her family and breaks her life in two.




As she begins to realize that almost everything she believed to be a truth was really a lie, Evie must get to the heart of the deceptions and choose between her loyalty to her parents and her feelings for the man she loves.  Someone will have to be betrayed.  The question is . . . who?



I just finished What I Saw and How I Lied last night on my train ride home, and it was fabulous.  Evie is an identifiable character that I liked and sympathized with - and at times pitied a little.  Her  voice is consistent and historically accurate (I wasn't there to know, but after reading What I Saw... I feel like I was).  The setting matches the voice, and I love how Blundell managed to bring smaller elements of life in 1947 into all facets of the story - minor and major plot lines alike.


But my favorite thing about What I Saw and How I Lied is the way Blundell manages to keep tension high throughout the entire novel, pacing it in such a way that you can't read it without feeling a sort of eerie sense of foreboding from the first page until the end.  And though I realized the secrets Evie was still trying to figure out, before she did, the tension was still there until she uncovered everything, because I couldn't predict what Evie would do.