Better Late than Never

A blog I follow YA HIGHWAY did their "Road Trip Wednesday" yesterday and asked:

1) What are the three best books you've read this year?

2) If you could meet one author (living or dead), who would it be?

3) What book are you most looking forward to in 2010?

Though I'm a day late (and seriously, I apologize that my blog content has been kind of lacking lately, but this whole end of the year thing is coming up fast!), I had to participate. In 2008, I quit my job, left a 3 year engagement (but kept the dress), rented a 16 ft truck, and drove across the country from San Diego to Pennsylvania with four dogs. And in 2009 I found myself working my up from intern to junior agent at a literary agency, getting free books (!), and falling in love with my new career.

So, 2009 has been a big year for me - a great year - and I've been introduced to so many fantastic people and fantastic books.

1) The three best books I read this year?

I can't just pick three. I've been introduced to too many amazing books! Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater changed my life, Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta left me breathless, How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins had me on the edge of my seat and screaming, and Cracked Up To Be by Courtney Summers kept me up at night. If I have to play favorites, these are my top five reads this year. And Columbine by Dave Cullen has a special place in my heart .

2) If Icould meet one author (living or dead)?

Alan Paton because Cry the Beloved Country was the first book that sucked me in, held me spellbound, made me laugh and cry, and kept me tossing and turning every night for months after that first read. It was also the first book I read over and over again until not even duct tape could hold the binding together.

3) What book am I most looking forward to in 2010?

Be prepared. There are a lot. Obviously I've already pre-ordered the third book in the Hunger Games Series - and don't think that will stop me from trying to get an ARC! I can't wait for Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers (even though I already read it because I can't wait to read it again!). I'm dying for Melina Marchetta's Finnikin of the Rock which I've been tempted to import from Australia since it's already out there. And of course, I can't wait for The Duff by teen author and awesome gal Kody Keplinger.